COMMITMENT TO EXCELLENCE
Asiatan has been proudly awarded a Gold Rating by the Leather Working Group (LWG) for its continued emphasis on environmentally sustainable business practices.
As an environmentally progressive tannery, we are continuously looking to adopt and implement new ideas in the tannery process to reduce our environmental impact. We also work closely with raw material and chemical suppliers to offer the most sustainable and environmentally aware products.
ENVIRONMENTAL STANDARDS: Asiatan commits to and fulfills all Guangdong Jiangmen EPA standards and China Central and Local Government Regulatory Standards.
ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (EMS)
Asiatan puts environmental management at the heart of its operations to achieve sustainable success.
- Asiatan is ISO 14001 certified; an international standard for organizations that fulfil their environmental obligations and reduce the impact of their operations on the environment.
- Asiatan EMS is integrated with the leather manufacturing process to help improve and manage resources more effectively.
- All inputs including raw materials, water, energy and chemicals are managed to optimize resource consumption while reducing Asiatan’s environmental impact.
- Asiatan documents every aspect of its environmental performance which enables us to identify opportunities to improve while providing a benchmark for comparison against other tanneries.
- By closely monitoring and implementing energy, waste and water reduction programs, we continue to minimize our energy and material input; thereby reducing our ecological footprint.
GREEN CHEMISTRY – ENHANCED PROCESSING
Asiatan is dedicated to constantly improving its manufacturing processes, facilities and business to include better and cleaner technology.
- In order to reduce air emissions, Asiatan uses 100% eco-friendly and water based chemicals in its process and conforms to the Asiatan Material Restricted Substance Standards (MRSL) which is based on standards set by the world’s biggest shoe manufacturing brands.
- At the same time, we continue to carry out improvement measures to reduce air emissions. In 2008 – 2009, Asiatan stopped the usage of its coal-fired boiler; realizing zero release of waste flue gas.
- Spray process uses LVMP spray guns in which the transfer efficiency is much higher and there is saving in chemical consumption, from the source to reduce emissions.
Effluent, Waste Water Treatment
- Asiatan uses 100% eco-friendly and water based chemicals, reduces and replaces the chemicals which contain chromium, ammonia or nitrogen.
- Waste water from drum is pre-treated by the chrome removal system, and all the waste water is collected and treated by the ETP (Effluent Treatment Plant)
- Asiatan has an environmental laboratory to test the Daily pollutant indexes, to ensure that it is complying with enforced limits.
Control of Manufacturing Processes
- Asiatan is devoted to reducing the presence of chemicals in the manufacturing process. Therefore Asiatan eliminated most of solvent-based products in the finishing process.
- The tannery is ISO 14001 certified – which is one of the highest certifications for responsible manufacturing given to a tannery.
Resource Use (Water, Energy consumption)
- Asiatan records and analyzes its Water and Energy consumption. Meetings and discussions are held regularly to monitor changes, based on which Asiatan carries out measures for the improvement.
- Heat pumps are also used to improve thermal performance.
- In order to reduce water consumption, Asiatan uses super load drums instead of traditional drums.
Other Practices implemented by Asiatan that enhances our leather’s environmental profile include:
- Biodegradable wetting agents in Wet-end
- Optimized dyestuffs in Wet-end
- Improvement in finishing systems to reduce waste
- Conduct Monthly Internal Environmental/Safety/Housekeeping Audits
- Set Quantifiable Targets for Environmental Improvement each year
- Keeping in mind the health and safety of the consumer and the environment, Asiatan follows strict guidelines for the procurement of raw materials and in the manufacture of leather with regards to Restrictive Substances.
- The Asiatan RSL/ MRSL Standard is based on the most stringent worldwide legislation and RSL guidelines set forth by some of the largest footwear manufacturing brands, which all Asiatan raw material suppliers have to consent to.
- Additionally, all leather and chemicals are put through rigorous third party testing by accredited labs thru the year to make sure that Asiatan RSL standards are complied with.
The following are just some of the ways in which Asiatan uses recycling to reduce its ecological footprint.
- Asiatan recycles used water back into the facility, from drum cleaning to re-drumming during the tanning process.
- Recycled water is used in the manufacturing process for the washing of leather and in the formula for particular leathers during drumming.
- Asiatan only purchases and uses recycled cardboard packaging, for packing and shipping of finished leather to its customers.
- Asiatan only purchases and uses wooden pallets made of recycled compressed wood for packing and shipping.
- Used chemical plastic containers are cleaned and re-purposed for storage within the facility.
- Polyethylene wrap is re-used in the packing and storage of wet blue leather in the facility.
- Shaving waste is collected and sent for the manufacturing of particle board
GREEN HOUSE GAS EMISSIONS CONTROL
We have adopted a series of measures that help in reducing the carbon dioxide per square meter of leather produced.
Some of the measures implemented by Asiatan to reduce the carbon footprint of its leather include:
- Asiatan does not incinerate any materials on its premises.
- The boiler which was the main source of CO2emissions has been shut down since 2008 – 2009.
- All air emission points are monitored/ checked for gaseous emissions by spray machines.
- Asiatan only uses water soluble chemicals in the leather manufacturing process to minimize emissions. No solvent-based chemicals are used.
- No substances containing CFC (Chlorofluorocarbon)/ PFOA (Perflourooctanoic Acid) are used in the leather manufacturing process.
- Asiatan regularly monitors, assesses, and creates action plans to reduce electricity consumption.